Saturday, September 28, 2013

Google Spreadsheet Area Calculations in Feet and Inches

Question:

( by Paul Enestvedt )


How do I enter feet and inches in a spreadsheet so that I can multiple values together and arrive at a sq. ft. (L x W) value?


Solution:


Have a look at the following screenshot:


In the above sheet, I have the following formula in Cell G3:
=round( ( (A3*12)+B3 ) * ( (D3*12)+E3 ) / 144 ; 2 )

and then you can drag the above formula to Cell G4,G5... and so on... as far as needed...

And you can also use the following array formula in Cell G3 to auto populate entire column G:
=arrayformula( if( A3:A="" ; "" ; round( ( (A3:A*12)+B3:B ) * ( (D3:D*12)+E3:E ) / 144 ; 2 ) ) )


I hope the above solution will help you, and if you need more help then please do comment below on this blog itself, I will try to help you out.


I also take up private and confidential projects:
If this blog post was helpful to you, and if you think you want to help me too and make my this blog survive then please donate here: http://igoogledrive.blogspot.com/2012/09/donate.html 

Thanks,

3 comments:

  1. Thanks--that was very helpful for calculating the square footage of a complicated walkway layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to do the same but using the measures in inches, like 5'11" or 11 1/2" so I dont have to create an special column called INCHES and another called FEED

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use
      A B
      1 |15.11| =(((A1-ROUNDDOWN(A1))/12)*10)+ROUNDDOWN(A1)

      15.11 in this case is 15'11"
      From there you can have easy calculations that look clean.

      Just saw this here in 2020... Late response but this worked so I figured I'd share.

      Delete