Thursday, September 27, 2012

Google Spreadsheet Wrap Text

Question:


By default Google docs/drive seems to line-wrap long text fields.  I'd like to be able to set the width and height of a cell and hide remaining text, aka how excel works.  Does anyone know how to do this?

Here's an example:

I really like long text fields for descriptions, comments, and other stored but less useful information



|I really like long text fields f|


Solution:

You have to select the Cell and then click on the "Wrap text".

Have a look at the screenshot below:





And Note:

If you don't have blank spaces in text string, then you will not be able to wrap the text, look at the following screenshot:



In above screenshot, I have text "Hello My Name Is Kishan" in Cell A1,
And "HelloMyNameIsKishan" in Cell A3...
So you can see the results Cell A3 will not wrap as it don't have blank spaces.


I hope the above solution will help you, and if you need more help then please do comment below on this blog itself I will try to help you out.

If this blog post was helpful to you, and if you think you want to help me too and make my this blog survive then please donate here: http://igoogledrive.blogspot.com/2012/09/donate.html 

Thanks,
Kishan,

2 comments:

  1. Kishan,
    In row 3, we can see that your name is cut off by the blank Column B. How can I get the text to continue on like it does in Excel?
    Sincerely,
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,

    To continue text, you can either drag column A (drag it from the top where the letter 'A' column header exists), that is increase the width of Column A.

    Or as I have shown in the above post that click on the "wrap text" (icon) button that is available on the control bar, by clicking on "wrap text" you can make the text fall in the same cell but on next line.

    And you also have the option to merge cells, so here in above example, we can merge A4 and B4, by selecting both these cells and clicking on merge cells button that is also available on control bar menu, so it will show the whole text.

    Thanks,
    Kishan.

    ReplyDelete